If players are unable to complete the registration process then they are probably not the type we want here, I think of it as an entry test they have to pass. However, I still always check when someone says 'the registration doesn't work to see if I can help. Thee are a number of reasons why the registration does not work, with only the first being a genuine problem.

1 Players email has a '.' in the username eg mark.df@wherever will always fail

2 The player lies about registering - happens a lot, ie there is no registratration

3 The player does not check their spam/junk folder

4 The player does not move the email out of the junk/spam folder so the link will work

5 Player does not read the instructions and about having to use their exact minecraft name - eg mark instead of markdf

6 Player does not read the instructions and enters a totally different name to their minecraft account
If that minecraft name doesnt exist, registration wont happen
If somone else has that minecraft name registration will work but they still cant be a builder as it doesnt match their name on our server and the email link wont work for them

7 Incorrect email address (happens occasionally), using another email address they dont have or is fake, will not work.
Which is why I will never manually put a player in a builder group unless they prove they have access to that email, ie why they have to email me if they cant read the simple instructions on registering.

8 Players refusing to register (because it sucks), then being abusive when the don't get their own way and we all know how that ends.

As its always been even since the server changed from being a select group by invitation only to an open server, we will never lower our standards just to get more players. I'd prefer the server to be a ghost town with just a few quality players than have hundreds of screaming idiots talking trash, keyboard warriors with their obnoxious behaviour and their 'entitled' attitude.